Fire Damages Second Floor Apartment On Market Street
Memphis

Weather
Logo
Serving This Community For 139 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 News
 People
 Sports
 Obituaries
 Editorials
 Classifieds
 Subscription
 Calendar
 Community Links
Search
 
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
No
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

April 18, 2002

Fire Damages Second Floor Apartment On Market Street

A Scotland County man was left homeless after a fire destroyed his apartment April 14. The Scotland County Fire Department responded to the Michael Addison residence at 220 Market Street after a neighbor reported smoke coming from the second-floor apartment at approximately 8:30 p.m.

Firemen were immediately met by flames upon entering the front door to the apartment. The blaze centered around the kitchen area, immediately inside the front entrance. Two hose teams entered the site and doused the kitchen area while battling high heat and extensive smoke throughout the building.

The fire was believed to have been started by cooking grease that was left on the stove. Fire damage was limited to the kitchen area but the remainder of the three-room apartment sustained extensive heat and smoke damage. Neighboring apartments also suffered smoke damage while the first-floor building which houses K&M Automotive suffered smoke and water damage.

"Thanks to a quick response time we were pretty fortunate to have kept the fire from spreading to the adjoining apartments," said fire chief Mark Drummond.

The Missouri State Fire Marshall's office was contacted to review the cause of the blaze. He arrived on scene at approximately 10:30 p.m. and upon investigation declared the fire was started on the stove. It was believed the grease boiled over and caught a trash can just north of the stove on fire before spreading to the rest of the kitchen area.

More than 15 firemen responded to the scene with five fire trucks. The department was assisted at the scene by the Memphis Police Department, Scotland County Sheriff's Department and members of the Memphis City water, light and street departments.


Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: memdemoc@nemr.net