Heat Lamp Blamed For Fire That Destroys Garage In Memphis
Memphis

Weather
Logo
Serving This Community For 139 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 News
 People
 Sports
 Obituaries
 Editorials
 Classifieds
 Subscription
 Calendar
 Community Links
Search
 
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
No
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

December 18, 2003

Heat Lamp Blamed For Fire That Destroys Garage In Memphis

A heat lamp was blamed for a blaze that destroyed a garage at a residence on East Madison Street in Memphis on Monday, December 15.

The Scotland County Fire Department was dispatched at 9:24 a.m. to the Jeanie Houghton residence. The first responders arrived on scene just three minutes after the initial page to find the building, located just south of the residence, totally engulfed by flames.

Firemen battled the flames for approximately 30 minutes but were able to bring the blaze under control rather quickly, preventing the spread of the fire to adjoining property. The building remained standing but the contents were a total loss.

Thirteen members of the volunteer fire department responded to the call with five fire trucks on scene for approximately one hour.

The fire department was assisted at the scene by the Memphis Police Department, Scotland County Sheriff’s Department, Memphis Light Department and the Scotland County Ambulance Service.

Fire chief Roger Gosney stated the blaze was believed to have been caused by a heat lamp over a doghouse at the rear of the garage.


Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: memdemoc@nemr.net