November 11, 2004
MARY FRANCES OLSON
(7/8/1927 Ė 11/5/2004)
Mary Frances Olson, 77, of Memphis, MO, formerly of Wyaconda, MO, died November 5, 2004, at the Van Buren Good Samaritan Center in Keosauqua, IA following a long illness.
She was born the daughter of Carl Rex and Bessie Opal (Couch) Olson on July 8, 1927, in Scotland County, near Gorin, MO.
Mary moved with her family at an early age to Clark County, near Wyaconda, MO. She graduated from Wyaconda High School and began teaching in the fall of the same year. Mary earned her bachelorís degree by attending summer school, first at Truman State University in Kirksville, MO before graduating from Northwest Missouri State University at Maryville, MO, in 1963. She taught school for 50 years, starting in one-room school houses. The last 28 years she taught at Washington Central in Keokuk, IA.
Mary served on the Fairmont Cemetery board for 36 years. She was a newspaper correspondent, writing for the county papers for over 50 years.
She joined the Fairmont United Methodist Church at an early age and was an active member. She also occasionally attended the Liberty Baptist Church.
She was preceded in death by her parents, grandparents, aunts and uncles.
She is survived by a sister, Pat and husband, Orva West of Memphis, MO; a brother, Bud and wife, Rita Olson of Las Vegas, NV; six nieces; three nephews; four great-nieces and six great-nephews.
Funeral services were held November 8, 2004, at the Fairmont United Methodist Church in Fairmont with Rev. Carol Blackwell officiating. Allen and Louise Fitzgerald provided the music. Lee Lemmon, Ted Hodges, Gary Hunziker, Kenneth Suter, Bennie Scott, Don Scott, and Lee Suter served as pallbearers. Burial was in the Fairmont Cemetery. Memorials are suggested to the Fairmont United Methodist Church or to the Fairmont Cemetery and can be left at or mailed to Gerth Funeral Service, 115 S. Main St., Memphis, MO 63555. Condolences may be sent to Ms. Olsonís family via email at firstname.lastname@example.org. Gerth Funeral Service handled the arrangements from their Memphis and Wyaconda Chapels.