October 20, 2005
Three Scotland County Properties Recognized as Century Farms
The Scotland County Extension is proud to recognize Dana and Mark Glascock, Stanley and Jerri Mohr, and the Janet Shaw family as 2005 Century Farms for Scotland County. These families were part of the 255 farms statewide to receive this honor in 2005.
To qualify for this program these families had to meet three criteria:
The same family must have owned the farm for 100 years or more as of December 31, 2005;
the family shall consist of direct descendants;
and the present farm shall consist of no less than 40 acres of the original land and shall make a financial contribution to the overall farm income.
Scotland County CPD, Judy Soper, and Extension Council Chairman Tom Deberry presented each family with a sign, certificate and a copy of the Century Farm book to commemorate this event.
Each farm is a tribute to the determination of the farmer to persist in an ever-changing world. The Century Farm is truly a well-deserved award commemorating stamina, persistence, hard work and ingenuity.
The 70-acre Mohr farm was purchased in 1882 by Stanley Mohr’s great-grandfather, Henry Mohr. The land was then passed down to Otto and Katie Mohr, and then to Stanley’s uncle Donald Mohr. In June of 1983 Stanley and his wife, Jerri, along with their three children, David, Darla, and Diane moved into the family home.
Today, David a fifth generation Mohr, along with his sons, sixth generation Mohr’s, help with the family farming. David and wife Scarlett along with their three sons, live on a farm adjoining Stanley and Jerri’s. Darla and husband Joseph Dixon and two sons live in Lancaster where Darla is a music instructor at Schuyler County R-1. Diane and husband Gail Melvin also live in Lancaster. Diane is a 4th grade teacher at Kirksville R-III.
The 80-acre Adams farm owned by Janet Shaw was recorded in 1905 by Janet’s great-great-grandfather, Franklin Adams. It was passed down through his daughters and bought by Milton Price, Janet’s dad. Janet eventually inherited the farm. Janet Shaw’s son Leon Shaw and his Wife Ann, along with their two daughters, Julie and Jamie, now farm the original acreage.
The 80-acre Musgrove farm was purchased in February of 1903 by Nellie Musgrove and Jennie and Harvey Johnson. It was then purchased by Nellie and Leland Musgrove in 1921 for $10,000. Harvey Lee Musgrove inherited the farm in 1969 and then in October 1995 deeded the farm as a gift to his daughter Dana Glascock and her husband Mark. There is a marker located in the Scotland County Courthouse that came from the Musgrove farm. It is a stone weighing 1970 lb. of greenish gray granite with the inscription “To commemorate the Organization and Development of Scotland County-1841-1941.”
If you are interested in participating in the Missouri Century Farm program application forms are available from the Scotland Extension Center.