January 12, 2006
Grass Fire Burns Shed On Ward Benson Property
A cigarette or some other type of accidental incendiary was blamed for a grass fire that started along a gravel road and spread to consume an outbuilding and threaten several other structures on property owned by Ward Benson on January 8th.
The Scotland County Fire Department was dispatched to the property, located northwest of Memphis on Route JJ at 4:48 p.m.
More than a dozen firemen responded to the call, taking five fire trucks to the scene where they quickly brought the blaze under control. One old storage building was completely destroyed by the fire, which also damaged the adjoining fence but consumed less than one acre of grass.
The fire department was on the scene for approximately 20 minutes. The firemen were assisted by the Scotland County sheriff’s department as well as a number of volunteers from the neighboring properties.