February 1, 2007
MATALEE M. ARNOLD
(11/6/1908 – 1/24/2007)
Matalee Maude Arnold, 98, of Memphis, MO, died January 24, 2007, at the Scotland County Care Center in Memphis.
She was born the daughter of Warren and Grace (Adams) Brookhart on November 6, 1908 in Arbela.
Matalee attended school at Granger, MO. To get there, she had to walk from Arbela to Granger along the railroad tracks. She enjoyed playing the piano, and was a pianist at the Arbela Christian Church before it burned. Madalee then attended the Baptist Church for many years.
She married George Wilber “Bill” Arnold on August 3, 1931. He preceded her in death on March 21, 1998.
The Arnolds lived in Arbela most of their married life until retiring and moving to Memphis. When they decided to start farming, she worked alongside Bill driving the tractor and truck. She did all the jobs that go with farming, along with making a home for their family. The Arnolds had seven children, which kept Matalee very busy with all the activities they were involved in.
Matalee especially enjoyed their family trips to Colorado each summer.
She was preceded in death by her husband; a son, Dean; and two daughters, Elinor and Patricia Grace.
She is survived by: her children, Kenneth Dale Arnold of Grand Forks, ND, Janet and husband John Shriver, of Ft. Madison, IA, Larry and wife Terry Arnold of Memphis, Gary and wife Pat Arnold of Arbela; daughter-in-law Betty Arnold of Henderson, NV; sisters, Mildred Bonnett of Bushnell, IL, and Doris Geisler, of Moline, IL; 19 grandchildren; 35 great-grandchildren, and 12 great-great-grandchildren.
Graveside services were held January 27, 2007 at the Etna Cemetery in Scotland County. Officiating the service was Leon Buford. Memorials are suggested to the Scotland County Care Center and can be left at or mailed to the Gerth Funeral Service, 115 S. Main, Memphis, MO, 63555.
Condolences may be sent to Mrs. Arnold’s family via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Arrangements were under the direction of Gerth Funeral Service from its Memphis chapel.