January 24, 2008
Smoke Alarm Helps Woman Escape Mobile Home Fire
A rural Scotland County woman awoke to the sound of a smoke alarm and was able to escape her burning mobile home on the morning of January 16th.
Teresa Norton was able to escape the fire uninjured but the blaze damaged much of the residence located on Route A north of Gorin. Her husband Rex Norton was not home at the time of the blaze.
The Scotland County Sheriff’s Department was notified of the fire by a call at 8:14 a.m. The Gorin Fire Department was dispatched to the scene and was able to bring the fire under control, but not before it had damaged most of the home.
The blaze was believed to have originated in wiring under the east end of the mobile home. Fire, smoke and water damage likely will make the mobile home a total loss.
“Our community saw the devastation a fatal fire can cause with the recent tragedy in Clark County,” said Scotland County Emergency Management Director Bryan Whitney. “Fortunately we were able to avoid that type of story thanks to a functioning smoke alarm. Everyone needs to not only have these devices installed in their homes, but they also need to perform regularly scheduled maintenance to insure they will work just in case they are ever needed.”