August 6, 2009
Sunday Evening Fire Causes Extensive Damage to Memphis Residence
A Sunday evening fire left a Memphis family homeless and claimed the lives of several family pets. The Doug Randall residence at 707 North Clay Street (Highway 15) sustained extensive fire and smoke damage during a blaze that was reported at 9:48 p.m. on August 2nd.
The family was home at the time of the fire but were outside in the backyard when one of Randall’s sons noticed smoke coming from the one-story residence.
Doug attempted to retrieve the family’s German Shepherd while his family went to a neighbor’s to call the fire department.
The first fire truck arrived on the scene and found the living room area, in the center of the home, completely engulfed in flames. The first hose team entered the residence through sliding-glass doors in the living room and were able to knock down the blaze, before exhausting the water resources on the front-running truck.
The blaze was fully extinguished shortly thereafter, as firemen worked to cut a hole in the roof to ventilate the smoke and heat from the center of the home.
The Missouri State Fire Marshall established the cause of the fire during a review of the site the following morning. He ruled that the blaze was electrical in nature and originated in an outlet adjacent to the sliding glass door entrance at the rear of the living room.
The Memphis Fire Department was on the scene for approximately 90 minutes. They were assisted at the scene by the Scotland County Ambulance Service, Memphis Police Department, Scotland County Sheriff’s Department and the Missouri State Highway Patrol.
Highway 15 in Memphis was closed for roughly an hour during the fire because of smoke and hoses crossing the street from the water hydrants. Traffic was re-routed by law enforcement.