Serving This Community For 138 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 Community Links
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

January 14, 2010

Firemen Douse Blaze at Memphis Home

Fortunately for the residents at 501 E. Monroe Street, a fire in the ceiling of the home was spotted early enough to allow firemen the opportunity to douse the blaze before it created significant damage to the property.

Firemen responded to the residence of Lonny and Michalene Cochran, after one of their sons reported smoke coming from the ceiling in the home’s kitchen.

The emergency call was placed at approximately 1:30 p.m. on Sunday afternoon, January 10th. The home is only approximately six blocks from the fire station, allowing for a quick response.

Firemen scaled the roof of the one-story home and were able to locate the source of the blaze. Damage was limited to the roof and the ceiling in the kitchen area, with water and smoke damage in those areas as well.

The blaze was believed to be electrical in nature.

Firemen were on the scene for less than one hour, but returned later in the afternoon after the owners reported concerns that remnants of the issue had rekindled a fire in the structure. The volunteers were on the scene for approximately 30 minutes on the second call.

Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: