Serving This Community For 138 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 Community Links
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

April 29, 2010

Firemen Douse Blaze in Mobile Home Near Crawford

A Sunday morning fire damaged a rural Scotland County business but emergency responders were able to prevent more significant damage to the tack shop owned by Larry Tinkle.

The property owners reported smoke coming from the mobile home that housed Larry Tinkles saddle repair shop located north of Crawford on Route B. The Scotland County Fire Department was dispatched to the scene at approximately 10:30 a.m on April 25th.

The mobile home was filled with smoke but no flames were visible at the time of arrival of the first fire engine.

Two house crews suited up in air packs and prepared to enter the building as water supplies were secured by the fire department.

The source of the blaze was quickly located and extinguished, preventing the spread of the fire. Fire damage was isolated to one room of the mobile home, where horse saddles and other tack were stored.

The fire was believed to have been electrical in nature, and appeared to have started under the trailer, below the storage room.

The fire department was on the scene for approximately one hour.

Approximately 15 volunteer firemen responded to the scene with five fire trucks. Several neighbors assisted in the efforts as did the Scotland County Sheriff’s Department and the Scotland County Ambulance Service.

Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: