Memphis

Weather
Logo
Serving This Community For 136 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 News
 People
 Sports
 Obituaries
 Editorials
 Classifieds
 Subscription
 Calendar
 Community Links
Search
 
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
No
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

April 22, 2010

Youth Hunters Enjoy Highly Successful Turkey Season

Near perfect weather conditions, both for the hunters and for the birds, led to a significant increase in the harvest totals for the two day youth spring turkey hunting season across Missouri.

Youngsters between the ages of 6 to 15 took to the field April 10 and 11 and bagged a total of 3,944 turkeys. That marked a 1,059-bird increase from last season.

Scotland County hunters checked in 33 turkeys, up 10 from last year. All but one of the 16 counties in the northeast recording area of the Missouri Department of Conservation registered increases from 2009 harvest totals. Macon was tops in total harvest and also saw the largest increase, bagging 49 turkeys, a 22-bird hike from last year’s totals. Clark County hunters checked in 31 birds (+8) as did Knox County (+10), while Schuyler County youths harvested 23 turkeys (+15).

Overall, the 469 turkeys harvested in the northeast region was an increase of 173 from 2009.

The Central region topped the state with 650 turkeys harvested, narrowly edging the southwest region (644). Franklin County was tops in the state with 133 successful youth hunts. Osage County had 100 turkeys checked in and Sainte Genevieve County was third high with 77.

Statewide, 72 percent of the birds checked in were adult gobblers, with the remaining 28% made up of jakes.


Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: memdemocrat@nemr.net