Serving This Community For 140 Years, Online Since 2001
 Front Page
 Community Links
Community Calendar
Entire Newspaper Online
Would you use a digital subscription, which would place a .pdf copy of every page of the newspaper on line?

Yes, but only if it was free with my subscription.
Yes, even if it meant a slight increase in the cost of my subscription.
Yes, I don't subscribe to the paper, but would subscribe to this online version.

July 26, 2012

USDA Authorizes Emergency Haying and Grazing of CRP Acres of Scotland County

July 20, 2012 - In response to recent extreme temperatures and drought that has impacted forage acres, Gary Kittle, County executive director of USDA's Farm Service Agency (FSA), announced emergency haying and grazing use of Conservation Reserve Program (CRP) acres is now authorized in Scotland County, Missouri.

According to Kittle, 73 Missouri counties have been released for emergency haying and grazing.

"Producers who are struggling to find forage acres for their livestock should take advantage of this opportunity," said Kittle.

Emergency haying in approved counties is allowed through August 31, 2012. Participants must leave at least 50 percent of each field unhayed for wildlife. Hay must be removed from the field by September 15th.

Emergency grazing in approved counties is allowed through September 30, 2012. Participants shall leave at least 25 percent of each CRP field ungrazed, or graze not more than 75 percent of the stocking rate. All livestock must be removed by the end of the grazing period.

Kittle said emergency haying and grazing is not allowed on the same acreage and only certain CRP practices are eligible. The Secretary of Agriculture recently announced the payment reduction for emergency haying and grazing has been reduced from 25 percent of the rental payment per acre to 10 percent for the 2012 year.

Eligible producers who are interested in haying or grazing CRP under the emergency authorization, and current CRP participants who choose to provide land for haying or grazing to an eligible livestock producer, must firsts request approval and obtain a modified conservation plan from the Natural Resources Conservation Service (NRCS).

For more information on and eligibility requirements for CRP emergency haying and grazing, contact the Scotland County FSA at 660-465-8517 or visit

Copyright © 2001
Memphis Democrat
121 South Main Street
Memphis MO 63555
Phone: 660-465-7016 -- Email: